Monday, August 18, 2014

How Humility and Obedience Need Each other to Work in my Life

       In everyday life, I see how humility and obedience play a major role in the way I act towards others. These two virtues can't exist inside me without the other. Humility is the accepting of who I am, including both the good and bad qualities of myself. Obedience is being able to renounce my own will and what I want to do for my own benefit, in order to do the will of the other. I see how I cannot be obedient if I'm not humble and how I cannot be humble if I'm not obedient. Everyday people ask something of me whether it be my mother, my teacher, those of higher authority, or even my friends and classmates. Most of the time, I see how it is a struggle for me to obey, or do what the other wants because of the way I feel at the moment, or because I do not find any sense of what they are asking me to do. Sometimes, I feel that when it comes to obeying the other, I feel that I should apply the teachings of St. Benedict that I have recently learned, which are to obey unquestioningly, and promptly, and to not exalt myself when I obey someone, because then the obedience becomes useless if it is done for my individual glory, and not for the glory of God.
     
JulianC

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this because Julian said that we only obey our friends or the people who have more power over us. But Julian made me realize that if I don't obey the person who needs me, then that means I'm disobeying God. And me as a catholic boy, that's a big problem for me. I also think that I shouldn't obey someone for doing something stupid and useless, because then that can go to consequences. And that is exactly why we only obey friends and people who are above our standards. People who want obedience, will get obedience unless if that task is ironic.

    ReplyDelete